Monday, 30 December 2013

How To Nail a New Year's Resolution

Anyone who knows me will probably tell you that I'm not quite ready to become a self-help columnist. They're totally right. However, I've become so tired of the failed institution of new year's resolutions that I'm breaking my silence on the matter. Here's a few tips I rehashed from my sales days that may or may not help you get healthy / save money / quit dealing crack this New Year.

Be Specific
Deciding to be healthy or mature isn't good enough. You need to decide how you're going to be healthy – eat organic, quit smoking or exercise more. Plan how you're going to improve your maturity. Are you going to stop laughing at the word 'penis' or refrain from squabbling with the neighbourhood kids? How can you expect yourself to achieve something if you don't know exactly what you want to achieve?

Be Realistic
No, you cannot be the first to discover an actual unicorn. If this was possible, myself or Alexa Chung would have beat you to it. In all seriousness though, you can't resolve to become an olympic runner or investment banker if you have no prior training in the field. Get serious pal. If that's really what you want to do, start with a gym membership or enrol in the required degree. If you're reading my blog, you probably live in a first world country which means you're never too old to go back to school.

Measure Your Progress
Instead of just planning to save money, keep a budget. This will prevent you from using a 'gift with purchase' to justify the three cute dresses you bought. If you decide you want to get fit, measure how long you can work out for to start with so you'll see your improvements. If not, it would be like wanting to lose weight without knowing your starting weight or measurements – redic!

Set a Timeline
Making the decision to change your lifestyle is a long-term goal. However, most new years resolutions only last for a month or two – if you're super dedicated. If you set a timeline for what you want to achieve, chances are, your motivation will increase as the deadline looms closer. Saying you want to travel is fine but deciding you're going to travel before you turn 30 paints a clearer picture in your mind. Before you know it, you'll be playing Black Jack in Monaco.

If, by some miracle, you've made it to the end of my preachy rant without google imaging unicorns, you may be wondering what my new year's resolution is. This year, I've decided to keep writing my weekly blog for the next three months. By the end of March, I need to figure out if it's something I want to get serious about and purchase a domain name.

Hopefully this amateur advice will provide you with some assistance on your quest for self improvement. At the very least, I hope it doesn't hinder your attempts or make you want to stab me. Thanks for reading over the last six months, I shall speak to you all in 2014... unless I die from my hangover.

No comments:

Post a Comment