Saturday, 19 October 2013

I Just Realised I'm Holly Golightly

After consuming more alcohol than I should before sunset and spending the evening with a boy I'm not entirely fascinated with, I went home to watch a movie: Breakfast at Tiffany's. It's now 2:38 am and I am wide awake after making this startling yet amusing discovery. Before I elaborate any further, I shall state that I have never accepted $50 for the powder room, nor have I assisted in passing cryptic messages between members of the Mafia.

I guess in the grand scheme of things I won't end up like Holly but my current situation seems to pose a great deal of resemblance to her own. For starters, I live alone with a cat in a tiny apartment in the inner city suburbs. I always make the effort to look classic and well put together even though I don't have the most impressive bank account.

For a reason I can't seem to identify, I can never quite look after myself properly. I do try but it just seems so difficult to cook and tidy my apartment. I'm surviving just fine and I'm determined to do things on my own but I'm not too sure how long I'll be able to survive on crackers and takeaway. I've been meaning to look into vegetables for a while now.

Then there's the prelude. I also grew up in a less than glamourous area and moved away as soon as I was old enough. These days, I don't keep in contact with anyone from the area, including family members. I suppose I have changed a lot since I left, as I'm sure everyone else has. If my family came to find me, they may as well call me by a different name as I am certainly a different person to the girl they knew.

My day was one that Holly would have experienced numerous times before. I was at an event during the day and began drinking. When I got home I had a few hours between engagements so I did one of my favourite things: cider in New Farm Park. Much like Holly's love affair with Tiffany's, New Farm Park makes me feel like nothing bad could happen there. Even if you're on your own you can sit on a blanket, read and watch all the families and groups of friends having fun. Everyone is always so happy, it looks like a Hallmark ad.

When evening came, I hung out with a boy who makes me feel somewhat like Holly does about her string of male suitors. He's an absolutely lovely person but I'm certainly not crazy about him. I have a sneaking suspicion that if I kept him around long enough, he'd turn into a rat like the rest of them. We had a nice evening but I won't be seeing him again.

That brings me to the present moment. After watching Breakfast at Tiffany's when I got home, I am now sitting on my bed typing this. Sitting next to me is a bottle of S. Pellegrino which I am drinking from a martini glass. Like Holly, this may appear to be mildly fabulous but the truth is, I can't afford the best of everything. I splurge on the best sparkling water because it cures hang overs. As for the martini glass, they're stored on the shelf below my regular glasses so I usually use them instead as it requires less effort.

As for Holly being slightly erratic and a little bit fake, I can definitely relate. If I'm not focusing on work, my imagination takes over and before I know it I'm off in la la land riding unicorns and eating fairy floss clouds. It really does make it hard to keep track of things. I often project a certain persona too. Not one that isn't accurate. It's more like the person I'd rather be than the one I actually am. For example, I make the effort to be happy and excited when most of the time I'd rather be asleep.

You may or may not have realised that the majority of similarities between Miss Golighty and myself are actually faults. These faults have been making me feel rather unhappy of late. It's nice to know that my faults are the same as one of the most glamourous, iconic characters of the 1900s. This is yet another reason why I should have my own TV show!

No comments:

Post a Comment