Tuesday, 29 October 2013

Blair Waldorf: Not Just an Evil Dictator




Fashion god, leader of mean girls or evil dictator... Blair Waldorf can be described as many things. People who'd be star struck by meeting Blair would feel just as excited about having King Jong-un over for Christmas Dinner. What I'm getting at here, is any girl with morals or a conscience would not call Blair an inspiration... until now. Thanks to the writers of Gossip Girl, I have been pulled out of a recent funk by the scripted wisdom of this evil genius.

So the story started in late June when I broke up with my boyfriend. We were together for 3.5 years and were best friends. Sadly, that's all we really were. It was time to face the fact that we were no longer romantically involved. At least that meant the break up could be amicable.

As we were really just friends anyway, I didn't miss him in the way you'd usually miss an ex. I just felt a little sad because I'd lost the friend who knew me the best. Anyone would miss such a person. Not only was I dealing with this loss, I was also confused because I didn't know why I missed someone I wasn't even really with for the last year or so. Then, thanks to Blair Waldorf, I had an epiphany.

In the first season, Blair explains her parent's divorce to Serina who ran away to boarding school for a year. She sums up her Mum perfectly:

“So my Dad left her for another man... She lost fifteen pounds and got an eye lift. It's been good for her.”

It was Blair's matter-of-fact statement and blank facial expression that pulled me out of my sad state. Scratch that – sad is an exaggeration. Maybe you would call it “not quite loving absolutely everything about life”. Whatever it is, Blair Waldorf inspired me to get over it with a little variation of this line: “So we broke up. I lost five kilos and moved to New Farm. It's been good for me”.

Talk about timing... why didn't I have this epiphany while I was dreading the inevitable questioning of my break up? In the early days of my newly found singledom, I had to dodge endless questions whilst choking back tears. If I had this matter-of-fact, careless response, people would have been given enough information to leave me alone without me getting upset.

Up until a couple of days ago, I was adjusted to my new life and doing well except for missing the bond I had with my ex. Thanks to Blair's careless evaluation of her mother's emotional state, mine has improved to a point where I'm happy with every aspect of my life. Sure, I'm no closer to seeing France than I was last week, nor do I own an Alfa Romeo or Audi TT. Regardless of my materialistic goals, I'm happier and healthier than I was last Tuesday night. Is that not the true meaning of growth and progression? I've nailed it!

No comments:

Post a Comment